Mission Statement and Values

It is our aim to provide a welcoming, open and inclusive environment for tennis enthusiasts of all ages and skill levels. We want to encourage more people to pick up a racket, whether it’s for the first time, or the first time in a while. We value integrity, sportsmanship, teamwork and continuous improvement both on and off the court. We would like to see more children playing the game and we aim to make it as easy as possible for parents and kids to choose tennis.

Club Facilities




social tennis


training wall

A club steeped in history

The original grounds at Castleview were occupied by the British Army in the 1800s. In 1893 tennis was first played here mainly by the British Army personnel and their friends. In the early 1920s the Army barracks closed and a group of local business people took over the control of the grounds. The Club was known then as the Carrick Tennis Club. It was quite an elite members’ club. There were 3 grass courts and every Wednesday during the summer months afternoon tea was served to the players.

At the outbreak of Second World War in 1939 the Club closed.

In May 1945 a group of local people came together with a view to forming a tennis club in the town. A  Public Meeting was called in the Town Hall and the first committee was elected. Castleview Lawn Tennis Club opened for play on 27th May 1945 and the first competitive event was an American Tournament in July 1945 with members from neighbouring clubs invited to take part. 

Senior Open Week at Castleview Lawn Tennis Club commenced in July 1967.The Tournament continues to this day and is now run over a two-week period in September.

The first Junior Open Tennis Week was held in 1968 and was run over one week in July.

The future of the Club and tennis in the town was in jeopardy in 1968 as the land was put up for sale but due to the foresight and determination of the Committee the land was purchased for the sum of £4,000 and a new entrance was created from the castle. Committee Members: Tommy Walsh, Tom Glascott, Noel Treacy and Mary Kelly acted as Trustees.

The first Inter Firms Tennis Tournament commenced in the club in 1984 and proved to be a very popular tournament with teams from business and social clubs in the area taking part and attracting a lot of new members into the club.

In 2003, the Development Committee members John Glascott, Tom Dunne, Patrick Burke, Mary O’Hanlon and Frances Mullins, decided to give the club a major face-lift with new all-weather courts and a refurbished Club house at a cost €250,000. A new entrance was also made from the adjoining car park at New Street. In recognition of the major work carried out, Castleview received the Club of the Year Award from Tennis Ireland in 2006.

The courts were again refurbished in March 2017, with a new playing surface and additional work on drainage and new perimeter fencing on all Courts and a Midi Court for U/10 players provided at the old practice wall. The historic old town walls bordering one side of the grounds were cleaned up to reveal the medieval stonework.